Friday, May 25, 2012

Tuite Amongst the Masses




  I spent another day made up of video perusing. On this excursion, I choose to only seek out examples of Tuite (more often “torite”) as they are presently being taught by various systems. I was only disappointed in what I found, not how much.
    
  The majority of what's being taught is often similar (visually) to what we teach, though there are numerous differences in the execution of the techniques.
    
  The biggest mistake being made, has to do with the dorsal folding of the hand/wrist. This was a common mistake made when Taika first introduced his techniques to westerners. When the technique is applied in this fashion, the uke only bends forward (at their waist). It does nothing to prevent them from retaliating (with counter-strikes), and/or escaping. It's additionally based upon the physical strength of the tori.
 
  These weaknesses are (obviously) being missed (or are possibly being ignored). I think that when being shown these techniques, people have tended to only view the results (of that techniques application), without consideration of how those results are attained (and preventing all the possible ways it can be countered).
   
  Additionally, there seems to be a fixation on simply having some form of grappling and wrist/arm manipulation techniques being shown. Most appear to be (unnecessarily) elaborate, usually containing numerous (often confusing) motions that don't really serve any real purpose, other than making the technique's application longer, and more confusing.
  
  I've viewed those persons performing the techniques who were ejected from the RyuTe association, and I see now why Taika wasn't concerned about their expulsion. They perform these techniques with those same faults that I've listed above. 
      
  Not surprisingly, these same individuals are promoting themselves as being tuite “experts”, and are conducting seminars to profit from that claim. Oddly, they've offered none of these (at least publicly) in the Kansas City, Mo. Area. Granted, none of the RyuTe schools would have anything to do with them, but there's plenty of non-affiliated schools in the area.
   
  Both of the other major Okinawan kempo (spin-off) groups are based locally (seeing as how they're lead by people who were kicked-out of the RyuTe association, LOL). They both are lead by individuals who promote themselves as having been Taika's highest student (at the time of their expulsion,LOL), although neither were!
   
  Interestingly (or not), they've all (self-)promoted themselves (and anyone else who would follow them) to higher (if not the highest) dan ranks that they felt were required for them to sell their wares. They choose to now use the various colored belts for Dan ranks which Taika has forbid to be used in his association because he felt they bred Ego! (guess he got that one right on the mark! LOL).
    
  I read a blog that was talking about when Taika passes. That author's contention was that if there were no RyuTe instructors/schools local to them, that these individuals may be the best alternative. Having now had student's who came from both of these individuals, I would definitely argue the case against that choice.
   
  Between the Dillman debacle, and the expulsion of numerous individual's, it's becoming more and more difficult (in many areas) to locate qualified and knowledgeable instructors of RyuTe. There are numerous wanna-be's and an equal amount of flat-out imposter's who are promoting that they are teaching Taika's system (or some equivalent).
  
  I've felt the most pity, for those who chose to follow Dillman. He had no idea about how/why Tuite worked (much less how to perform it), so his students abilities were crippled from his lack of knowledge. He built his own little empire around the TCM nonsense (which provided plenty of excuses for when the nonsense he taught didn't work). His groups reign of existence lasted only about 15 years. It still exists in small pockets, with even smaller groups of followers. Eventually, those followers will move on (to something that works) and he will become a passing footnote (of no significant importance except as an oddity of the time).
   
  I've mentioned before the origin of the word Tuite, which is why I find it so amusing that so many systems now offer it (and promote it as having always been a part of their system). I find it especially amusing that various Korean MA schools are now offering it (and of course claiming that it was always a part of what they teach).
   
  I guess what bothers me the most, is that students/instructors aren't researching what's being taught (as/for Tuite). So many of the inadequacy's that I see in what's being taught, are (pathetically) blatantly obvious, and could be corrected very simply and with minimal effort.
  
  When I've confronted those instructor's about these technique deficiency’s, the excuses they offer are legion (and prepared). I've watched numerous videos that explained how tuite was only to be used as a softening application, much like a strike would be. They often provided no follow-up motions (to neutralize and/or restrain the opponent), and if/when they did, it was some unnecessarily elaborate (and pointless, IMO) technique. These usually had the look/feel of an MMA type of application (all show, no go, LOL).
  
  Over all, my recent observance of the industry (as it were, LOL), has only shown (me) that it hasn't changed much since the last time I looked. I still see the same nonsense that's always been there (and no doubt always will be). Not that I'm surprised, only disappointed that people haven't chosen to investigate/research the subject for themselves, they only wait for someone else to do so. 
   
 The biggest problem that I see (with that philosophy), is how will they know which viewpoint is correct? (if either).


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tuite is great stuff, but I would not use in a multiple attacker situation. You've got to strike a lot of places and only have a few seconds at the most. Joint locks are mostly for showing mercy, would anybody in there right mind think they could beat someone like Brock Lesner with any of that stuff, you can't miss with anything you do and if he strikes or manages to get his hands on you your in your grave. THERE IS A LIMIT TO EVERYTHING :)

LONER

Openhand said...

I might not use it “repetitively” in a multiple aggressor situation, but I would still be very likely to utilized it if/when the opportunity presents itself (you can easily eliminate at least one from the aggressor's group). It's difficult to believe you've seen that much (actual) tuite to believe that it's the “merciful” alternative, LOL. The recipient’s physical condition (meaning this “Brock Lesner”) is irrelevant. I have utilized it to (literally) “drop” individuals twice my body weight (which would be 340#, and not of “fat”) I agree that anything has limits, but I believe that those limits are more those of opportunity than of applicability. Regardless of size, and/or physical condition, anatomical limitations are are as close to universal as you can get.

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying can they work, I'm saying in a situation w / someone Brock like, will it work ? :))

Odds are none of us have to find out and stay
comfortable in our theories, let's hope :)

LONER

Openhand said...

“Brock-like” meaning....what Exactly?

Man of the West said...

Well, first I have to note that in my 49 years on this planet, I have been assaulted by the likes of "Brock" dozens upon dozens of times...NOT.

Flat fact of the matter is, haven't been assaulted AT ALL in my adult life, except for once, when the guy was so fearsome he felt compelled to slug me in the head from behind with a piece of pipe or something. I've never, not once, seen an altercation/confrontation involving a highly-trained, extraordinarily fit, ring competitor. Frankly, I don't think I have to worry about them.

I might conceivably have to worry about the likes of "Chip," an aircraft maintenance worker we once had in our group. Chip was over three hundred pounds, pretty fat, but apparently his work involved lifting engine blocks or something, 'cause that big, fat guy was also strong as an ox.

Need I point out that the techniques I'm being taught worked just as well on Chip as they do on my 23-year-old son?

At any rate, I think I get what you're saying about not getting involved with folks who've left/been kicked out of the association. Better to learn, say, real Goju Ryu than crappy tuite, and just saddling yourself with habits that you will later have to unlearn?

My question/concern has always been for people that just have no realistic opportunity to learn RyuTe. What the heck do you do if you've read about tuite online, but the only school within reasonable driving distance teaches sportified taekwon-do?

Lee Richards said...

Brock Lesner, or others of his stature have no choice but to buckle under a properly executed Tuite technique. Size and strength doesn't prevent Tuite.

Now, a double upper amputee......well then I guess I'd go for Tuiashi.